- Powerful control system for electromagnetic and electro-permanent chucks
- Continuous output voltage regulation – output current up to 25 A DC
- The control unit is equipped with efficient demagnetization cycles
- The user has the possibility to create his own demagnetization waveforms using the algorithm or by editing individual demagnetization pulses
- The control unit is designed to power up to 6 electromagnetic chucks
- Ability to operate over an extremely wide range of supply voltages from 115 to 230 VAC
- A version for 415 V AC is available
- Automatic frequency adaptation in the range of 10 Hz to 100 Hz
- Detection of low magnetization level – user adjustable current value
- Damage detection of the supply wire to the magnetic clamping device – RELAY RE1
- ENABLE IN input – designed to block the start of magnetization/demagnetization
- Ability to communicate with common PLC types – RS 485 industrial bus support
- Galvanic isolation of control and power section 1 kV
- Possibility to update the control unit software via the Internet (TCP/IP)
The control system is suitable for power supply and impulse control of electromagnetic and electro-permanent chucks. All functions are controlled by a powerful ARM Cortex-M4 microprocessor. The control system automatically adapts to the frequency of the power supply network. The magnetization level (output DC voltage) is continuously adjustable by potentiometer P1 on the control box. The output DC voltage is regulated from 5 to 95 % of the input AC voltage. The control system is equipped with efficient demagnetization cycles, which are designed to remove residual magnetism from workpieces, which can then be easily removed. To increase operator safety, the control system is equipped with a safety contact that indicates a break in the supply wire to the electromagnet and a low level of magnetization.
- The iPES series control systems are available with IP20 protection for built-in use or in a stand-alone version with increased IP54 protection. The control system is designed for normal operating environments, in the operating temperature range -20°C to +85°C at a non-condensing maximum relative humidity of 90%.
- Before connecting the control system, it is necessary to check that the mains supply voltage corresponds to the voltage specified on the device.
- It is necessary to connect the protective wire to the PE terminal.
- Input AC supply voltage must be connected to terminals L1 and L2(N) – iPES control systems are designed to operate over an extremely wide range of supply voltages (110 to 230 V AC).
- The electromagnetic clamping plates (or individual coils of the electromagnetic chuck) must be connected to the DC output voltage terminals DC OUT 1 to DC OUT 6.
- The ENABLE IN interlock input terminals can be connected to the master device. If the interlock input is not used, the U1 and IN inputs must be shorted.
- The terminals of the RELAY RE1 safety contact can be connected to a master device (e.g. industrial PLC,…).
- The control box is connected to the control unit by a 10-wire shielded cable – terminals 1 to 11 of the REMOTE CONTROL connector. This conductor must be placed separately from the other (power) conductors. The cable must be protected from environmental influences and mechanical damage.
Magnetization – CLAMPING
- Set potentiometer U1 to the required clamping force.
- Use the PRG switch to select the required MAG/DEM program.
- Press and hold the green illuminated MAG button for at minimum 0.25 seconds.
- The correct level of magnetization is indicated by the light of the green button and the activation of the safety contact RELAY RE1 – it is possible to work fastened objects.
The MAG button flashes to indicate operational or fault conditions:
Slow flashing – indicates that the magnetization process has not yet been completed.
Fast flashing – indicates that the clamping force has not reached the required level. This condition may occur in the following cases:
- Clamping force set too low by potentiometer U1.
- The safe magnetizing current value is set too high.
- Little or no current flows through the electromagnetic clamping plate (e.g. due to a damaged electromagnetic clamping plate, interrupted lead wire or damaged iPES controller).
Demagnetization – RELEASE
- Press and hold the red illuminated DEM button for at minimum 0.25 seconds.
- During the demagnetization cycle the red button is flashing slowly – the safety contact RELAY RE1 is open.
- Complete demagnetization cycle is indicated by a continuous lighting of the red button.